Brook Street Bridge Replacement, Ystrad Rhondda
Griffiths have been appointed as the Principal Contractor by Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council (RCT CBC) to undertake the demolition and reconstruction of the existing footbridge at Brook Street, Ystrad Rhondda.
The bridge, now at the end of its design life, provides an important link from Ystrad to Nant-y-Gwyddon Road, and is the only ramped access to the railway station’s northbound platform. The final scheme will also provide a missing link to the active travel route along the valley.
The new footbridge will: –
- enhance the connection between the two communities, the Rhondda Sports Centre and beyond
- have a wider deck for the ramps from the Gelli Industrial Estate to the Leisure Centre that will comply with the Active Travel requirements and tie into the existing cycle route
- be fully Disability Discrimination Act compliant, thus improving access for all.
- force the closure of the northern entry onto the north bound railway station platform
- create a new improved at-grade access near the steps of the railway station footbridge i.e., the steps up to the platform will be removed and the ground level will be raised to meet the back of the platform level (at the southern entry onto the north bound platform)
The scheme is being jointly funded by RCT CBC and Welsh Government.