Parson Street & Hartcliffe Way
Construction of the MetroBus network is currently underway across the Bristol area. Works in Parson Street and Hartcliffe Way are due to begin in January 2017 with work expected to be completed by late autumn 2017.
Following consultations in 2012 and 2014, the MetroBus plans for Parson Street and Hartcliffe Way were approved by Bristol City Council as part of the North Fringe to Hengrove Package planning application in 2014. They include:
- Widening Hartcliffe Way to construct a new bus lane. These works will require a temporary one-way restriction in-bound on Hartcliffe Way for approximately 10 months
- Widening Hartcliffe Way and Parson Street (A4174 section), including the setting back of part of a retaining wall at Parson Street, to extend the two-lane merge from Bedminster Road to improve southbound traffic flow. These works will result in a reduction in the width of the pavement outside 48 to 66 Parson Street
- Remodelling and improving traffic flows at the junction of Parson Street and Hartcliffe Way, with new traffic signals and the removal of the right turn from Hartcliffe Way into Parson Street
- Removing the parking bay outside 21 to 35 Hartcliffe Way to create a new in-bound bus lane; Improving and relocating the pedestrian crossing on Parson Street near Highbury Road
- Replanting trees and hedgerows along the route
MetroBus is a new rapid public transport service coming to the West of England area and is a joint project between Bristol City Council, North Somerset Council and South Gloucestershire Council. MetroBus is designed to quickly transport large numbers of people through a combination of segregated busways and bus lanes. The network will provide faster bus routes from south Bristol to the city centre and north Bristol, and will remove the need to change buses in the city centre for many travellers.
The existing cycleway / footpath along Hartcliffe Way and Parson Street will not be affected by the Metrobus scheme and will remain open throughout the works programme.
More information about MetroBus can be found on the Travelwest web site.