The Considerate Constructors Scheme (CCS) is an initiative that aims to improve the image of the construction industry.
The CCS commits those projects registered to enhance their appearance, respect the community, protect the environment, secure everyone’s safety and care for the workforce. More details can be found on their web site www.ccscheme.org.uk.
How do we ensure we are a Considerate Constructor?
Griffiths is committed to being a Considerate Constructor, taking due regard for our neighbours, employees, stakeholders and anyone else who may come into contact with our projects.
During 2015 we registered eight projects with the CCS and achieved an average score of 41/50 which represents an Excellent Site. We also scored points for innovation in the Respect the Community category for our Exchanging Places initiative.
Our own Sustainability Challenge endorses the five key areas of CCS and ensures all of our projects are working to the standards expected by the Considerate Contractors Scheme.
We will ensure our sites appear professional and well managed
- Ensuring that the external appearance of sites enhances the image of the industry
- Being organised, clear and tidy
- Enhancing the appearance of facilities, stored materials, vehicles and plant
- Raising the image of the workforce by their appearance
We will give utmost consideration to our impact on neighbours and the public
- Informing, respecting and showing courtesy to those affected by the work
- Minimising the impact of deliveries, parking and work on the public highway
- Contributing to and supporting the local community and economy
- Working to create a positive and ensuring impression, and promoting the Code
We will protect and enhance the environment
- Identifying, managing and promoting environmental issues
- Seeking sustainable solutions and minimising waste, the carbon footprint and resources
- Minimising the impact of vibration, and air, light and noise pollution
- Protecting the ecology, the landscape, wildlife, vegetation and water courses
We will attain the highest level of safety performance
- Having systems that care for the safety of the public, visitors and the workforce
- Minimising security risks to neighbours
- Having initiatives for continuous safety improvement
- Embedding attitudes and behaviours that enhance safety performance
We will provide a supportive and caring working environment
- Providing a workplace where everyone is respected, treated fairly, encouraged and supported
- Identifying personal development needs and promoting training
- Caring for the health and wellbeing of the workforce
- Providing and maintaining high standards of welfare